Monday, 3 November 2014

What we did for our anniversary..

MrM bought me a card and wrote such a beautiful message in it that I cried; he then presented me with two beautiful autumnal bouquets.

I on the other hand wrote him a joke: "Knock knock"

"Who's there?"

"Phil"

"Phil who?"

"Phil Salotlonger than four years!"


No, I don't know why he sticks with me, either.


Anyway, we met, as usual, at the church where we got married on our anniversary. We arranged to meet at lunchtime which seemed to coincide with some community service work. The McBaby and I very nearly found ourselves donning yellow jackets and getting started, but fortunately, the McBaby ran away and stole a worker's rake, proving he's not criminally minded. Fortunately MrM arrived just after that (not the right way round cf our wedding day).

The next day, childfree, MrM and I went to yoga together. Romantic. He then took me for breakfast at Bill's and then lunch at Brebis on Bartholomew Street, Newbury. Now that's spoiling your wife; I really started to feel bad about my joke-writing (perhaps I should also mention my quip about how we had been happily married for two years. "We've been married for four, cheeky." said MrM, patiently.





It's in the former Citizen's Advice office. "I can give you advice, if you like," said the affable Mark Thomas-esque host who was attentive, helpful and knowledgeable. With a fabulous wine collection, I kicked myself for offering to drive and indeed was told jokingly that soft drinks were only available for the pregnant and those who were driving.

The d├ęcor is simple and elegant and there's no off-putting music which is very true to French cuisine and extremely laid back and relaxing. The focus really is on the food which it should be.






I started with the salt-baked beetroot for one of my five-a-day; followed by a gorgeous salmon dish, with mussels.








Followed by a blissful chocolate marquise dessert with crumbled shortbread and a salted caramel icecream.






I am going to be nicer to MrM; no more bad jokes, so that we're in with a shout of making it to five years so we have an excuse to come back here. Bliss.


No comments:

Post a Comment