Friday, 16 May 2014

It's all perception




For the past few months, I've been attending a motivational group once a fortnight where we discuss our goals, lives and businesses. Each session is a brilliantly inspiring motivational workshop. We set goals, spur each other on and share our dreams. This week, we were discussing the gap between our lives and our dreams. Are you working towards making your dreams a reality? If you plan to earn £1m next year, then the way we do that is to break the goal down, get there incrementally and reward yourself along the way. The same goes for weight loss. You might want to lose weight and go from an 18 to a size 8, but have you changed your diet? Do you exercise?

If there's a disconnect between what you're aiming for and your current life, why is that? The analogy we received was that we know how our cars work and how they should run. If you're putting your foot on the accelerator and you're not progressing in a forward direction - what is it between the pedal and the engine that's not working? You have to break it down and make sure everything works. If you work in sales, it may well be that the problem is that you have not quite got the right mindset. And if you start doubting yourself, that comes out in your interactions with people and starts to become a self-propelling prophecy.

One big problem that affects many people is of course the fear of what other people think. And so, we were told that it is actually possible that nothing is real anyway. It is possible that you are nothing more than a brain in a jar, imagining everything around you. In which case, sod what everyone else thinks and focus on what you do well! It's yours for the taking if you believe in yourself.

The reason I mention this, is that I quite often wonder if everything is real (even the motivational session - particularly when someone in the group said; "Ah, so THAT'S why cats have nine lives" which confused me no end, followed by my eyes getting so tired that I started thinking the stripes on the carpet were dancing around). The reason I wonder this is that my life simply seems designed for my own entertainment. I can't seem to do the things that everyday people do without it going wrong and making me think I'm either in my own head or in a sitcom.

For example, the jabs. I couldn't face telling MrM (although I have now and he laughed like a drain) that the McBaby did not have his jabs this week. We returned on Tuesday to find the nurse on duty didn't know how to do vaccinations and then returned on Thursday to find that we'd been called in too early and that his jabs aren't actually due for another 9 months. We still got a "I was brave at the doctors" sticker though.

How about shopping? I went into Aldi today and got mistaken for a member of staff as I had come from the gym and was in my sportsgear. I then went to pay and found that my bank card wasn't in my wallet. Perhaps I should have checked after I caught the McBaby tipping out the contents of my wallet yesterday. On my drive to the cashpoint to get cash using my CREDIT card, I had to flag down an old man driving past me with his wallet and shopping on the roof of his car.

When unloading the shopping from the car, a funeral cortege went past, inches from my boot. So I bowed my head in respect. But was it respectful to be holding a can of chickpeas in my hand?

What about meeting a friend for coffee - who else would have to leave a café because their child is running up and down and rolling on the floor and shouting. Our friend was coming with her newborn and was 45 minutes late, so I made my excuses and left as her toddler is impeccably well-behaved and I don't think she would have reacted well to the McBaby's naughtiness. Of course, we then bumped into her in the street when the McBaby felt it would be a good time to smack me in the face.

This all took place in the space of less than two days. Oh to be normal.


.



No comments:

Post a Comment