Thursday, 16 January 2014

Getting crafty

One of my many, many New Year's resolutions, was that I wanted to be one of those wholesome mums who sits down with their children, a pile of twigs and some spray paint and makes a delightful ornament, that's tied with gingham ribbon and presented to a loved one who is thrilled and puts the objet d'art on the front door to welcome guests.

Because the McBaby and I just don't do craft, probably because although I think I'm a creative, I am terrible at art and just don't know where to start after purchasing crayons and colouring pencils. Many's the time, we've sat down with some pencils and paper only for the McBaby to make a game out of how far he can throw everything.

And even the McNephew is at it, proudly telling the ladies at his new school that his favourite present from Father Christmas was a pair of scissors (before finding that it was more than one day that was required of him. Oh, how many of us in our family have cried and protested 'but I went yesterday!' when being told we had to return to school for a second day).

So, this year, McBaby and I have painted the carpet red in an attempt with straws, brushes and scraps of sponge. This isn't too bad and was accidental. My mum still tells anyone who will listen that as a small child who watched one too many murder mysteries, I deliberately drew the outline of a body on my carpet in marker pen.

After painting the carpet, McBaby tried to drink the paint through the straw. However, we've found an outlet for our creativity with chalk that we've liberally blasted all over the back patio. And with all of this rain, it's literally self-cleaning.

Are there any other adults but me who don't know what crafts to produce? Any seriously simple craft projects are welcome!!



PS. While we had the paint out, we painted a card (because I forgot to post one in time) and I fear for the recipient that it looks like a ransom note.


No comments:

Post a Comment