Saturday, 22 September 2012

Princess Anne


MrM organised a wonderful event for the service to dedicate a new memorial to American airmen. Forty-nine crewmen were killed in two incidents in December 1944 - a glider crash and a mid-air collision above Greenham Common.



Guests to the service included Princess Anne, the local MP, the town's dignatories, and er....the McBaby and I.




I really wanted the McBaby to have had the experience, whether he remembers it or not, to find out about the Second World War and to meet veterans. This was a great idea as he charmed the people who were there, smiled at everyone, called the MP "daddy", and cooed and enjoyed himself. This great idea seemed more like a very bad idea when there was a minute's silence. How to keep a baby quiet for what seemed like the longest 60 seconds of my life? I know! I will stick my finger in his mouth - the result was this noise that you can hear in the first few seconds of the ITV report:
www.itv.com/news/meridian/2012-09-21/princess-remembers-war-heroes/


www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01mscjt/South_Today_21_09_2012/

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-berkshire-19675253

No comments:

Post a Comment