Tuesday, 24 July 2012

"EVery second of life is a gift"






I've been pondering a lot recently on the nature of life, as one is wont to do after the birth of a child. SOmething that has been keeping me awake is that I really don't know who would look after the McBaby should anything happen to me.

In the last few years, all of my friends have moved onwards and upwards. In the last few months, our social life has been reduced to outings to the park and to rhyme time at the library. MrM and I moved back to Newbury which is a difficult place to make friends and we have a few acquaintances, but no-one close, and no-one that has offered to look after the McBaby for an hour, let alone until he's 18!

So I've had some strange thoughts floating around my head of late, and when I saw the story about the horrific shooting of 12 people in a cinema in the STates, I was appalled. One of the dead is a beautiful, vibrant young lady called Jessica Ghawi, who, unbelieveably, survived a shooting in Toronto a few months ago.

Much like Hungerford, when you look around the peaceful streets, it's hard to imagine such an atrocity taking place in Toronto. But what struck me was how well she put into words what I've been feeling recently.

"I was shown how fragile life was...I was reminded that we don't know when or where our time on earth will end...

"I say all the time that every moment we have to live our life is a blessing. SO often I have found myself taking it for granted. Every hug from a family member. Every laugh we share with friends. Even the times of solitude are all blessings."

No comments:

Post a Comment