Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Hair of the dog

I have never enjoyed having my hair cut - and here's a couple of reasons why it's become even more traumatic after the arrival of the bean.

1. You can't just rock up and have a quick trim.

2. I never know what to talk about while in the chair. This is compounded by the fact that all I want to do is sleep. I got away with a five minute nap in the chair, undetected. (I think)

3. The price. WHile you're working, it's almost expected that your hair doesn't look like a rat's nest. When you're on little more than £100 a week of maternity pay, using more than half to pay for your hair is a little distasteful.

4. The chemicals. Wordlessly applying something toxic to my head with a wire brush that you use for creosoting the fence used to be FUN. Now I am worrying that it will get into the breast milk. I had a burning scalp and something akin to a hangover when I woke up this morning. The little man seems ok so far.

5. Ditto the hairwash. I've never thought it was safe to lean back into the sink and always feel lightheaded and strange as well as worrying that my neck muscles might spasm. I mentioned it to the stylist who thought I was bats. Should I print this out for her next time?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3654987.stm

6. Ditto the "stain remover". "What is in it?" I asked. "STain remover" came the helpful reply.

All in all, I was gone for a massive three hours. At least I won't have to get my hair cut again for another 18 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment