Friday, 6 January 2012

Reusable nappies




Whenever I go shopping, I always mentally berate people who tip their groceries into new plastic carrier bags. I feel passionately that we must conserve resources and that reusable bags are the way forward. After all, it was only in the 1970s that people came to expect that the supermarket would provide their bags. And wouldn't petrol be cheaper if you used less plastic since it's derived from oil?

So, I felt a twinge of hypocrisy as I noted this week that I must have used more than 100 disposable nappies for the little man in the last two weeks. Not only is this a heap of landfill and hopelessly bad for the environment, but our council is now only collecting our rubbish once every two weeks. Thanks to a new floor being put down, our bin is bursting at the seams and we've got about 10 days until our next collection!

That's why we contacted the council and asked them if we could try reusable nappies. They actually phoned me on the 19th from a mobile number, so my husband answered it with the immortal line "She's just pushing our baby out, can she call you back?"

However, someone from Veolia came round today with a big bucket, some liners, some washing liquid and a massive bagful of nappies. She talked me through them all and I asked if there was any way to know which was which. She then helpfully produced a booklet that detailed how each one worked, which would have saved her a lot of explanation!

So the little man is wearing the first one and it's quite bulky, but very cosy and warm. It sounds like he's not far from making use of it, so I will report back with how we get on!

1 comment:

  1. can't wait to snuggle him in a real nappy...lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete