Tuesday, 8 November 2011

The birth plan!

I have wondered whether it's sensible to put my birth plan here, but to heck with it, it's called "a plan" and we all know what happens to the best laid plans.

So here it is in all of its glory. I'd be intrigued to know how closely the birth of your child resembled the plan and what you would do differently next time. If there is indeed a next time.....

Comments welcome!!



General wishes: If all is well with the baby, we'd like to do all we can to give birth at home in a water pool.I'm going to try to keep active where possible and would like to try to have the baby naturally if at all possible, but this being my first, I think it might be sensible to have gas and air, and pethidine on hand just in case.



My main concern is that the baby is healthy.



I have attended a hypnobirthing course and would like to try, as far as possible, to give birth naturally if everything is going well.



I don't mind medical interventions if they are necessary for the well-being of the baby, but would like to be consulted beforehand. If I am not in a position to decide, MrM will step in. We're going to try to keep the atmosphere as calm and peaceful as possible. We might have a Hypnobirthing CD or some music. If it's at night, we'll try to keep the room dim with low lights and candles so I can concentrate. It would be very much appreciated by me if people could talk in reasonably low tones.



We'd request, please, that inducement is only used if the onset of labour is unusually delayed and the baby is in danger. We'd like to consider natural means of inducement; only considering other procedures as a last resort.



If we do need to go to hospital, this would only be if things weren't going to plan, and so we will do whatever it takes to keep the baby healthy.



We'd like to keep the number of people present as low as possible - only MrM and where appropriate, the doula. We'd like to ensure that anyone who is present is cheerful - I will do my best with this too!! We'd also like to minimise discussion on pain tolerance and pain levels where possible, and we'd like as few monitor cables and equipment as possible.



Second stage: As far as possible, I would like to try to breathe the baby out rather than push. I'd obviously like to take our time if possible to avoid tearing. We'd like MrM to catch the baby and if intervention is required (surgical etc), we'd like him to stay with the baby.



Third stage - I am happy to have this induced by injection.



Baby care: If the baby is healthy, I would like to hold him/her as soon as possible before the admin tasks - no need to wipe down etc. I would like MrM to tell me if it's a boy or a girl and to cut the cord (if he is happy to do so) once it's stopped pulsating. I would like the baby to receive Vitamin K orally if possible.



Thank you very much for reading this and for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment