Thursday, 20 October 2011

The Waterbirth Book




The Waterbirth Book by Janet Balaskas is going back to the library today - it's been a useful read and has made me feel better about my decision to try to have the baby in a water pool.

I remember at school when I suffered terribly from period pains that matron suggested that I get into a bath in sickbay and I remember the pain relief almost gave me a sense of euphoria. I would say that swimming is my favourite sport as well, so I think water really is the place for me.

This book tells of women in the South Pacific giving birth in shallow sea water and how waterbirths have become increasingly more popular since the 1980s. The book recommends not getting in until you're 5cm dilated (which involved an examination I guess - boo) but that it gives you a bit of privacy in your own private birth space. It also helps you maintain certain birth positions such as kneeling, squatting and standing up by providing buoyancy and helps with blood pressure and relaxation. Giving birth in water means you're less likely to tear as the water helps soten the area around the baby's head.

Some recommendations:

1. Pregnancy must be of normal term.

2. There must be only one baby.

3. Baby must be in a head-down position.

4. Spontaneous rupture of membranes must have been less than 24 hours ago.

All I need to do now is ensure we can fill the pool up and not get the carpet too wet!

No comments:

Post a Comment