Thursday, 20 October 2011

Big Issue

I got admonished by the Eastern European Big Issue seller in town just now because I'd bought this week's copy from another vendor. I did apologise, although I didn't realise that she and I had agreed to be exclusive - that awkward place in an early relationship I guess.

I think she felt a bit bad for being a bit rude, as she then brightened and congratulated me on being pregnant (I have been trying to disguise it recently but the bump has reached a size where it can now qualify for its own postcode.)

"Are you having a boy or a girl?" she asked.

"I don't know yet," I said.

She looked disgusted. "Haven't you been to hospital?"

This is about the 20th time this week I've been given the "what's wrong with you" look for not finding out. A few years ago, this was not an option - you found out on the day of the birth! I don't mind change and technological advancement and have no quibble with people who want to know in advance (except those who terminate because the sex is "wrong", obviously), but are there no surprises left in life anymore?

I can imagine on the day of the birth - "it's a girl!" -
"Yes, we know - you told us after the scan!"

Would you/did you find out? Are you happy you did/didn't?

No comments:

Post a Comment