Monday, 5 September 2011

Change



HOw many times has this happened? We're good friends with a couple and hang out a lot. They then have children and reassure us that nothing will change. Then their lives are redefined. Previously where we could talk about anything; politics, fun, music, we now talk about child seats and how many hours little Timmy sleeps through the night. They come to our house and tell us that we drink too much or that our abode is a death trap - shame on us childless people for leaving a knife in the kitchen!!

We go to Glastonbury and are informed when we get back that you can't do such frivolous things when you have children (erm are those children that I've seen at festivals just very small adults?); you're lucky you have no responsibilities; ad infinitum.

Anyway, we met up with one of these friends recently and ahem....talked about babies, sleep, hospitals, discipline, schools, nursery, help from parents.

I've now gone to the other side!!

It was almost as if we'd found common ground once again and could rekindle our friendship from a new starting point. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind talking about babies, and this lady's children are very lovely and funny. (They are well behaved though, so an exception perhaps!). It's just that I don't want to talk about this exclusively or be told that my life is pointless because I don't have children.

She gave me some fabulous baby things - a Moses basket, clothes, toys, blankets. All is forgiven!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment