Thursday, 25 August 2011

I'm getting better at relaxing!

I remember on my 30th birthday, my sister and I went to Champneys for a day of pampering. At one point, we were just chilling out in the sunshine by the pool. "What time are we going to stop relaxing?" I asked, not realising how ridiculous this sounded until I saw the look on her face.

I just find it so hard to switch off and to stop the million voices roaring, singing and laughing in my head.

So it was with great pleasure that I nearly fell asleep during last night's relaxation session. It didn't get off to a great start, as I'd decided to meet my friend and go to the cinema and had underestimated the length of the film. At 7.55pm I was pegging it up the road (not very relaxing) when my phone rang, with the organiser apologising and saying she wasn't quite there yet and hoping I wasn't waiting outside.

Amazingly, I wasn't the last to arrive. There were five of us; the couple that are incredibly relaxed and inspirational (as an aside, I bumped into the lady last week in the supermarket. MrM and I were en route to a festival so I'd loaded up my basket with booze for him - not a good look on a pregnant woman); a lady I'd not met before and a lovely lady who I'd met at the NCT group a couple of weeks ago.

She is very much like me. Not only do we do similar jobs, but her sense of humour is the same and she also finds it impossible to relax! We were told to visualise ourselves sailing down a river in a boat. The river meanders and ends up in a lake where we are hoping to see a beautiful flower, which we eventually find and it turns out to be even more wonderful than we'd realised. It's meant to represent the trials and tribulations of pregnancy (and indeed life) and culminates in seeing the baby for the first time. I find this kind of visualisation very helpful, except I am far too easily distracted by idiots driving past at speed outside. I did have to stop myself falling asleep at one point, so I consider that a successful relaxation session!!

No comments:

Post a Comment