Saturday, 18 June 2011

Doula

D-O-U-L-A

I remember putting this down as a word when I was playing scrabble with MrM's parents and they wouldn't let me have it. I insisted it was a word so they checked in the dictionary and it wasn't there! (We haven't played scrabble since!)

The reason is, "doula" is actually a Greek word and is used to described a woman who supports you during pregnancy, childbirth and early parenthood.

Just what I need!

I actually found a local doula and poured out my heart. It's the first time I've been able to tell someone that I am nervous about various things and for me to ask my silly questions without fear of judgement! I am going to meet her at the beginning of next month and am surprisingly excited. I had a chat with her, she's already a grandmother and this kind of non medical support is what I've been looking for.

For just £200, I think she'll be a great asset; she will talk me through the pregnancy, attend the labour whether, as she put it, "it lasts four hours or 48" (Just for the record, I am not signing up for 48!), help with teaching breastfeeding and - get this - with doing light housework when the baby is here!

This is what she said:
"We will see what we can do to put your mind at rest!!Congratulations on your pregnancy, and thank you for your email. I am a Trainee Doula, and the role can be very varied. Please email me back if you want to have a chat, it can be very confusing when you first find out that you are pregnant with a first baby...but how exciting for you!!!
Best wishes
x

No comments:

Post a Comment